Welcome to the World

Our sweet baby boy has arrived.

Please welcome Dylan Wyatt to the world...

Born Saturday, February 27th, weighing 8lbs 6oz and measuring 22'' long. He is a healthy and BIG baby boy!

The first few weeks of parenthood have been amazing. It's amazing how much you can love something the second you lay eyes on it. It's amazing how little sleep you can actually survive on. It's amazing how your view of the world and life changes once you have a child. It is also amazing what our bodies can do.

I was not one of those woman who looked forward to the childbirth experience. In fact, I read tons of pregnancy books but skipped over the labor and delivery sections. For me, ignorance was bliss. We went to our 40 week appointment and I let my doctor know that I hadn't felt the baby move much the night before or that morning. I was accustomed to feeling the baby move frequently, so this was a little alarming. My doctor sent me to get a biophysical profile, which is basically a detailed ultrasound. The technician indicated that the baby's heart rate was good, his lungs looked good, etc. She then got very quiet. Justin and I could sense that something was wrong, so Justin asked. The ultrasound technician said she didn't see any amniotic fluid. We knew this was serious. She said I am getting your doctor right now. My doctor came in and said that she was admitting me to the hospital immediately. She did allow us to go home and grab our hospital bag, as long as we were back at the hospital within the hour *Lesson to all you pregnant gals out there- keep your hospital bag with you at all times during those last few weeks.

This pic was taken at 39 weeks and exactly one week before Dylan was born.

We got checked into the hospital and they checked my vitals and kept a band on my belly to monitor baby's heart rate. A few times, the nurses came in and had me quickly move positions as baby's heart rate dropped. We were nervous that we would have to have a c-section that day. Luckily, the baby's heart rate remained steady and the doctor wanted to begin the induction.

I'll spare you the dirty details, but I will say it was a long few days. We were admitted Thursday morning and Dylan didn't make his debut until Saturday. I wasn't able to eat and could only consume water and ice chips. I was also hooked up to so many monitors that it was impossible to get any sleep. Justin and I must have worn a path through the hospital with all the walking we did. I wanted to wait as long as possible before getting an epidural, as once you have one you are bed-bound. I was already going a little stir-crazy in the hospital. I finally got an epidural at 11pm on Friday night after my contractions became VERY strong. After it was administered, I was able to get some sleep. When I was checked again at 3am on Saturday morning and was still only 1 cm dilated, I had a minor meltdown. I was starving, weak and exhausted. I couldn't imagine having the strength to go through delivery. However, when I was checked again at 7am, I was fully dilated. Thank goodness! I really don't think I could have handled much more of labor.

The actual delivery was much more peaceful than I had imagined. The lights were dim, we had some relaxing music playing and for the majority of it, it was just myself, my husband and our nurse in the room. It was not the crazy, hectic scene typically portrayed in movies. Justin was so amazing throughout the experience. I squeezed his hand, while he counted and I pushed. In about 45 minutes, Dylan was born.

A few hours after his birth, I had one more minor scare. The nurses want you out of bed pretty quickly after delivery to help with recovery. The nurse helped me out of bed and as I began to take a few steps, I got very dizzy. I vaguely remember saying, 'I don't feel very good...' and then the next thing I remember is waking up back in bed with about a million nurses looking over me. I had passed out.I believe it was a mix of lack of sleep, lack of food and blood loss. I rested for a bit and then my sweet in-laws brought me some potato soup from Panera, which was the only thing that sounded good. I felt much better after eating, which was good because we had several visitors that day and the next.
Some of Dylan's 'aunties and uncles' and our dearest friends meeting him for the first time.

I delivered at Shawnee Mission Medical Center and I have to say, the staff was outstanding. The nurses were incredible, especially Sarah, who helped deliver Dylan and Teresa, who I had while recovering. They were so incredibly kind, helpful, sweet and supportive. My own doctor was not available for Dylan's delivery but her colleague was. We really enjoyed the doctor who delivered Dylan too, she was focused but also personable.
Dylan getting skin on skin with Daddy.

I'm not going to lie. The first few days were rough. Recovery from childbirth is no joke. I told Justin that it felt like I had been in a car wreck. My whole body just ached. We weren't released from the hospital until Monday. Spending 5 days there took it's toll. It felt so nice to come home, shower in my own shower and sleep in our own bed. It took me a few days to feel somewhat normal again. We had family over the night we came home from the hospital but then no visitors for the first few days. It was nice to have some time, just the three of us at home to try and figure everything out and try to catch up sleep.
Dylan and his great great aunt, born 2 days shy of exactly 89 years apart.

Dylan has been a great baby and we feel exceptionally lucky for that.

We had some newborn photos done when Dylan was 6 days old. He slept the whole time:)

We are just 5 weeks in but, so far, parenthood has been just as amazing as we had heard. To think that we created this little person, this life, that is a blend of both Justin and me is truly an indescribable feeling. There are certainly times of exhaustion, but I am trying to savor every single moment of his newborn sweetness.

xoxo, S


  1. He is such a darling little boy. He looks so much like a Sherron. My son Jeff was a big boy too; 9lbs 14oz. He looked like he was 2 month home when was born. Enjoy your son and be sure to keep and capture every moment. Later on you will be so happy you did.

    1. Thank you so much. He is definitely a Sherron through and through:)

  2. Your newborn pictures are adorable!! Congratulations!

  3. Oh Suzanne...he is absolutely PERFECT! I'm sorry you had a bit of a rough time up to his delivery, but it sounds like you handled it like a pro! Keep the pictures coming! I'm so happy for your sweet little family!

    1. Thank you Leslie! I love seeing pics of your gorgeous little guy. Isn't it amazing how fast the time seems to go once they get here?!

  4. He is perfect! Congratulations on an adorable baby boy!


  5. Congratulations to you and your family. Your son is SO cute. Looking forward to reading all the adventures you will have with him.


Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Comments from my sweet readers make my day! You can always email me at scsa25@gmail.com if you prefer as well. love, S