Master Bedroom Update #3,657

Our Master Bedroom has gone though more changes and updates than any other space in our home. Due in large part to 2 reasons: my tastes have changed and matured greatly in the past 6 years (at least, I like to think they have) and that the starting point was truly awful.

Phase 1 (six years ago)

Phase 2

Phase 3


I'm not sure I can ever call a room 'done', because I'm the type of person that may wake up tomorrow and have a sudden urge to paint our bedroom blue, which literally happened yesterday morning. Our bedroom now has blue swatches over the walls now. I don't like my environment to be stagnant and constantly rearrange and move things around. For the most part, I am really happy with where our bedroom is currently. It is definitely our oasis from the outside world.

Justin and I had grand plans of building a new bed. However, due to busy work schedules and packed weekends, we never found the time to dedicate to such a large project. When I saw that One Kings Lane was offering a 30% discount  off their already lower prices during a one-day flash sale, I quickly logged on to search for beds.

I came across several and ultimately we ended up selecting this one.

I do wish the gray color was a bit darker. Overall though, I am happy with the purchase and find it to be great quality. Plus, the fact that we no longer have a dust ruffle (my nemesis)  is amazing to me. It feels much cleaner without the dust ruffle, and I don't have to worry about the dogs accidentally pulling the dust ruffle down on one side etc.

Once the silvery gray bed was complete, the taupe x-benches at the end of the bed were NOT working anymore. Luckily, it was a quick fix.

You may recall that I first purchased these x-benches at Kmart.com for a steal. However, they came covered in cheap, leopard-print polyester.
 I recovered them with the same taupe chenille fabric from our original DIY headboard.

This time, I wanted a charcoal linen-like fabric.

While browsing Hancock Fabrics over the weekend, I found just the look I was after. Unfortunately, it was in the form of window curtains. I figured one curtain would give me enough fabric to cover both seats, so I picked it up.

After cutting the curtain to size, I got to work with my trusty staple gun. Justin was watching the World Cup at a friend's house, so I was working alone which means I wasn't able to get many in-progress pics.
 I then decided to dress them up with some nail head trim, that I still had left over from the DIY headboard from eons ago. You can pick up a roll at Joann's for $20 (or $12 with a coupon).Justin was home to help with this part. Using a nail head trim kit is very easy but it does help to have 2 people. One to hold the trim down and the other to nail in.

One last Before and After-

I also ended up finding a pair of drapes at Hancock Fabrics that I couldn't resist. The silvery blue print is gorgeous, hard to photograph but stunning in person. I felt as though they lightened up the space, in contrast to the existing espresso brown Thai silk drapery from Restoration Hardware. I love that drapery as well, but they feel very heavy both literally and figuratively in the Summer time.

We are planning on painting this room a dusty blue color and then calling it done. My sights are set on our bathroom next... No rest for DIYers.
xoxo, Suzanne

1 comment:

  1. Creative indeed. Truly, creativity is a great power to excel in home decoration and DIY home furniture to come-up with a comfy and lovely house that will create a good and positive vibes especially when you are soaking in a stressful problems in work. I am looking forward for more furniture decoration ideas.


Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Comments from my sweet readers make my day! You can always email me at scsa25@gmail.com if you prefer as well. love, S