7/28/11

$16 Thrifted Dresser Makeover

The first part of my office transformation was the Chevron wall, which I shared yesterday.
I spent a total of $30 on the paint supplies to turn this-























Into this-




































I knew that besides adding visual interest to the small room, I needed to add storage. I have collected quite the collection of paint/tools/craft supplies, which have been stored throughout the house. By adding a large dresser/credenza, it would provide me with enough storage to keep all my supplies in one spot.

So, when I spotted this old dresser at Savers (my favorite second-hand store EVER),



















I snapped it up immediately! I knew I was going to purchase it, without even looking at the price tag. I figured that such a large, SOLID wood piece would probably set me back $50ish. There was some minor scratches on top but other than that, the piece was in great condition, and the drawers opened and closed smoothly. When I actually looked at the price tag, I about screamed out loud...























$16.99!?!? Are you kidding me??? Gorgeous!

Once home, I sanded down the entire piece with 100 grit sandpaper until all sheen was removed and any scratches felt smooth. I had planned on priming and painting this in my garage but it has been so freaking HOT in Kansas City, that I was worried the oil-based primer would never dry in the humidity. So, we carried it upstairs and I painted in the actual office. I would recommend that when using an oil-based primer to paint outside or in a well-ventilated area. I was just miss antsy pants and wanted to get it done.

I used this primer-


















and laid out about a hundred paint chips in the boldest colors I could find-


















Any guesses with what I went with?



































It's bold. It's bright. It's perfect.
The deep magenta just popped against the pale gray beautifully. For anyone wondering it is Behr's Haitian Flower UL100-16.

Here's a few pics of the process.














*Tip-I line my paint containers with foil for quick and easy clean-up. It works especially well for oil-based paints/primers that are a nightmare to clean.
















After priming and painting THREE coats of the magenta paint and spray painting the original hardware with a mix of gold and silver spray paint, I got this-


























































I still need to do a coat of clear gloss lacquer to protect the finish and paint the two metal bits on either side (they are not removable like the hardware was, so I will have to get some craft paint and hand paint these), but I was too anxious to share:)




































The room is NOT finished yet, as I have a few more projects to complete and a new chandelier to add! I'll be posting pics as they are completed.
Happy Friday!!! -S

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/29/2011

    omg! I am so excited! this has got to be the best idea ever! who knew something that bulky could be so cute! running to craigslist now...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Comments from my sweet readers make my day! You can always email me at scsa25@gmail.com if you prefer as well. love, S